7 Tips For Selling Your Laptop on EBay
Are you trying to sell your laptop on eBay? Well, eBay is certainly a good channel to get some extra cash from your old laptop sale, but be warned - there are some scammers out there who might cheat you.
You need to be careful when you're selling your laptop - this article shows you some tips. In particular, you have to be careful of fraudulent bidders who scour eBay for the unwary and snatch their cash away.
1. Keep All Your Laptop Stuff One great tip I have for selling laptops - make sure that you keep ALL the stuff found in the shipped laptop package when you first bought. You see, a buyer would certainly pay a bit more if the laptop has its original box, manuals, software, cables, etc. So make an effort to keep the original stuff with you - so when you finally sell your laptop, you have some good original stuff and 'extras' to offer the buyer.
2. Monitor The Auction's Close One of the most important things to do when selling your laptop is to monitor the auction's close. In fact, this does not just apply to laptops, it applies to the sale of any kind of item you have.
The great majority of bids come in only within the last few minutes of an auction. What some scammers might do is to hijack an eBay user ID, then bid up the laptop as the auction is ending. You have to monitor your bidders towards the auction's close. Those with poor feedback scores or who have not been active in eBay for more than a year are very suspicious indeed.
3. PayPal Is Not A Gurantee Some of you may live and breathe by PayPal when you sell your laptop on eBay. Now, PayPal is owned by eBay - and they offer a Seller Protection Policy (covering the selling for up to US$5000 per year on any transaction PayPal deems fraudulent. However, there is some fine print you need to take note of - PayPal only provides cover is the transaction meets some specific criteria (e.g. must be shipped to an 'eligible' address, proof of signature by recipient needed for sale items US$250 and above).
4. Check Out Escrow.com One website that is very useful in selling your laptop on eBay is Escrow.com. What does it do? Well, Escrow.com is a third party that collects, holds and disburses funds according to buyer and seller instructions. These guys are licensed and regulated, and serve to protect both buyers and sellers. They act like a 'judge' in any transaction and ensure that all flows smoothly and fairly.
5. Hold On Before Shipping One lesson I learnt in my eBay adventures (not just with laptops but other sale items) is to hold on a bit before shipping. Do not - repeat - do not ship your laptop to the buyer until at least one business day after a PayPal payment has been made into your account or a money order has cleared your bank. You don't want to send off the laptop only to discover the payment was fraudulent.
6. Communicate via eBay Here's an important one - do your communication via eBay. eBay has its own built-in communications system and you should fully make use of it. By keeping transactions and communication within eBay, you have a solid and traceable record that will help investigations is you get scammed.
7. Wipe Out Your Hard Drive Many people forget to do this after selling their laptop. Please, please please - remove all your personal information, credit card numbers, love notes and passwords from that hard drive on your laptop. There's a good video on 'How to Completely Erase a Hard Drive' that you should definitely watch.
Cheap Gateway MX3228 Notebook online Low cost Toshiba Satellite P775D S7360 17 3 Notebook Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 Laptop Computer Cheap Toshiba Satellite PSC0YU 03202D 15 6 Notebook Sale ThinkPad X120e laptop AMD AntiGlare Graphics Cheap T420s laptop Intel Antiglare TrackPoint recordable Cheap Lenovo Thinkpad Professional FingerReader Bluetooth For sale HP Pavilion dv7t i7 2630QM Professional For sale Buying HP dv7t generation BrightView Fingerprint How do I get Dell Inspiron Laptop 1 66GHz Widescreen Toshiba Satellite P755D S5384 15 6 Notebook Price Price comparisons for Lenovo Thinkpad T410 253729u Notebook For sale D14E Ruggedized M Tech Custom Laptop Who sells the cheapest Lenovo 4334 G570 Laptop online Get cheap HP dv7t generation Fingerprint Professional Best Toshiba Satellite M645 S4049 TrueBright Laptop HP ProBook 4530s XU017UT Notebook For sale Price comparisons for Acer Aspire AS7250 0409 Black Notebook Price comparisons for HP Pavilion g7 1167dx Refurbished Notebook Low cost Panasonic Toughbook CF 30 Rugged Notebook Buying Toshiba Satellite P305 S8842 P305 s8842 Best reviews of HeidePC® Gaming PC generation Lightscribe HP EliteBook 8460p Notebook Bundle Price For sale HP Pavilion Dv8000 Hp Notebook Buy DELL IM1012296PPL N450 250 10 1 online Best HP ENVY 14t 2000 Get cheap Apple Refurbished MacBook Air 13 3 inch 2 13 Intel Price comparisons of ThinkPad 2 6GHz DVD Writer Windows Professional Online Acer Travelmate Tm8473t 2434g75mikk LED Notebook Buy HeidePC® GamerPC i5 2500 multi burner including Who sells Dell Inspiron Laptop i14r 1440lpk Pink the cheapest Get cheap Toshiba Satellite P755D S5378 15 6 Notebook Where to buy LATITUDE E6500 15 4 C2D 2 53GHZ 250G K52JC QHB1 2 4GHz NVIDIA GeForce Notebook For sale Lenovo IdeaPad Y560P Laptop Computer Dell Latitude E6500 2 26Ghz Profesional Sale Discount SONY VPCYB33KX E450 1 65G 2GB Get the best price for HP Pavilion g6s Notebook Memory Low cost HeidePC® Gaming PC generation Lightscribe Samsung 900X1B A01 11 6 LED Notebook Sale Buying eMachines eMD728 4838 14 Notebook PC Where can you buy Lenovo Thinkpad 12932cu 13 3 Notebook Best price Acer Aspire 1 6GHz Intel Notebook How do I get Sony VAIO VPCEH2IFX W What is the best price for Thinkpad i7 2920XM 320GB PANTONE SENSOR Best reviews of HP Pavilion dm4 2184nr Best price HP Pavilion Notebook 750GB Memory HeidePC® GamerPC i5 2300 multi burner including Price Online Dell Latitude Computer i5 2430M BoostTechnology Price comparisons HP Pavilion dv6t Laptop Professional
Conclusion I hope this article helped you understand some good tips on selling laptops on eBay. For most people, selling expensive items like laptops on eBay should not pose a problem - however, there have been cases of the unlucky few who got scammed. They often end up without the laptop and without the buyer's money. So do take note of the above tips the next time you're selling a laptop (or any other expensive item) on eBay. Good luck and happy selling!