8 Simple Tips to Keep Your Laptop Safe
A laptop's portability makes it incredibly useful and easy to take anywhere. However, improper use can cause harm to the laptop and to you. These eight tips should be kept in mind to help you stay productive and safe wherever you take your laptop.
1. Turn It Off - When you're not using the laptop, shut it down. This keeps it from overheating and wearing the battery down with constant trickle of use and then recharge. It's especially important to shut it down before sticking it in a bag or sleeve. It can easily overheat even in sleep mode, damaging the CPU and hard drive.
2. Use a Carrying Sleeve - Before you put it in a briefcase or backpack, stick the turned off laptop in a protective sleeve. This provides padding from any unexpected shocks and also protects the ports from any dirt or other items rolling around in the bag.
3. Adjust Power Settings - Set your display brightness to the minimum acceptable levels. This will keep the laptop running longer and cooler. From the Power Options control panel, you can set the display to turn off after a short period of time, say 15 minutes. Also the hard drive can be set to stop spinning after so many minutes. You can also set your computer to sleep or hibernate.
4. Clean Your Vents - Wherever you take your laptop, make sure the vents are able to receive and exhaust air. Papers near the laptop can block an air vent, preventing optimal cooling.
5. Check Your Lap - laptops aren't always great on top of a lap due to the high heat they can generate. You can literally burn yourself if you aren't careful. If you do have to sit it on your lap, rest it on top of something: a book, a briefcase, or a special laptop rest. Due to the enormous power modern laptops have, they can get really hot when pushing them to their limits.
6. Disconnect Accessories - you may think that leaving your flash drive plugged in while you quickly hop to another location is a time saving idea, but you'd run the risk of damaging your flash drive and your laptop. Unplug any accessories and power adapters when moving your laptop. They can damage the accessory, the laptop port or internals in many situations. Take a few seconds to minimize the risk of damage whenever possible.
7. Hard Over Soft - When using a laptop on the couch, avoid the temptation to use a pillow as a rest. The soft material can easily block vents that may be on the underside of the laptop, causing it to overheat. Use a book or specially designed laptop cooling pad. Some of these cooling pads are USB-powered and run fans to further cool your computer.
8. Update Your BIOS - Check your manufacturer's site regularly for BIO updates. Updated BIOS's may improve fan control, CPU monitoring, and hard drive monitoring. However, an improper BIOS update can damage your computer, so you may want to have your IT department or a professional technician update it for you.
Buy Cheap Asus U46E BAL5 Refurbished Notebook PC Price compare ThinkPad Edge E520 11433BU Notebook Where can I buy MSI FX603 018US 15 6 Inch Notebook Cheap Asus U43F BBA7 Bamboo Refurbished Laptop Who sells the cheapest Dell Latitude C610 Laptop Screen online Low cost 15 6 Intel Core 500GB 8GB Cheap Toshiba Satellite A665D S6075 15 6 Inch Charcoal online How do I get K53E DH51 15 6 Inch Versatile Entertainment Laptop Acer AS5253 BZ893 15 6 Inch Laptop Black Cheap Who sells the cheapest HP Pavilion dv6 3210us 15 6 Inch Entertainment online Gateway NV57H44U Processor Display Memory On line Cheap Toshiba Satellite A665 3DV11 15 6 Inch Laptop Low price Sony VAIO VPCF22SFX Signature Notebook Gateway NV75S17u 17 3 Black Notebook On Amazon Who sells the cheapest Dell Latitude D620 Notebook Computer online Where can you buy Thinkpad Lenovo i7 2620M Bluetooth PROFESSIONAL Price comparisons of Apple MacBook MB991LL 13 3 Inch Laptop Best reviews of Asus K60I Dual Notebook Refurbished Best HP Pavilion g6 1b50us 15 6 inch Notebook Who sells Sony VAIO VPC EH11FX Laptop Black Cheapest Sony VPCSE16FX 15 5 Inch Laptop Platinum online Who sells the cheapest HP laptop 2nd generation i7 2630QM Slot Load online For sale Sony VAIO VPCZ21SHX Signature Notebook Alienware M17x 17 3 Laptop Computer On line HP Pavilion dv5 2129wm Mobility TrueVision Compare prices Buy Acer AS7739Z 4469 17 3 Inch Laptop Mesh online Cheapest Apple MacBook MC371LL 15 4 Inch VERSION online Price comparisons of HP Pavilion dv7tqe i7 2630QM Fingerprint Low cost HP 17 1181NR 17 Inch Envy Notebook Low cost MACBOOK 2 3GHz High Resolution AntiGlare Screen Price comparisons Dell Latitude Laptop 1 3Ghz 2048Mb Best price MSI G GT780DXR 405US 17 3 Inch Laptop Bargain Gateway P5WS5 NV55S09u Notebook Computer Compare prices for Samsung NP300V5A A03 15 6 Inch Notebook Black Buy Sony VAIO VPC EG1AFX Laptop Black online Online Dell Inspiron Notebook i3 380M Bluetooth Low cost HP Pavilion dv6 6170us Entertainment Notebook Discounted Thinkpad X220 12 5 320GB 4G Compare prices for Dell Studio s1747 2839CBK 17 3 Inch Chainlink Compaq CQ57 210US 15 6 Inch Notebook PC Compare prices What is the best price for Sony VPC EE42FX BJ Widescreen Entertainment Best MSI X X460DX 216US 14 Inch Laptop Where can I buy Sony VAIO VGN P530H Lifestyle PC How do I get Toshiba Satellite L675 S7113 17 3 Inch Laptop Price comparisons Toshiba Satellite L675D S7104 Dual Core DVD SuperMulti Cheapest Toshiba Satellite A665 3DV12 15 6 Inch Laptop HP Pavilion dv4 4030us Entertainment Notebook Reviews Where to buy Asus G60JX RBBX05 Notebook Manufacturer Refurbished Get the best price for Alienware m15x 472CSB 15 Inch Gaming Laptop Deals for ASUS G73JH RBBX05 Refurbished Notebook PC
9. Utility Software - There are numerous fan and temperature monitoring utilities available for free download. These allow you to monitor your CPU and hard drive temperatures and your fan speeds. They can give you early warning to potential fan problems or overheating.