How to Diagnose and Replace a Defective Storage Battery inside of a 2005 VW Beetle TDI
1. Put the gear shift lever in Park or First gear.
2. Place wheel chocks behind the back wheels of vehicle.
3. Pull the hood hand lever inside cabin compartment of the vehicle.
4. Pull the surface hood cable and raise the engine hood.
5. Place a memory keeper (device used to retain computer settings) inside accessory socket inside cabin compartment.
6. Press the tab with top battery cover and take away.
7. Press the tab for the fuse box cover and lift the coverage up so that fuses are accessable.
8. Employing a 1/4-inch square drive 10mm socket along with a 1/4-inch square drive ratchet, eliminate the POSITIVE cable (red) to the fuse box.
9. Employing a 1/4-inch square drive 10mm socket along with a 1/4-inch square drive ratchet, eliminate the clamp that secures the NEGATIVE cable to the NEGATIVE post.
10. Using above hand tools, remove clamp attached with POSITIVE cable to POSITIVE post.
11. Detach the clamp for the battery cover. Employing a flat-blade screwdriver, disengage the tabs that secure the coverage to the tray.
12. Remove the cover as well as set aside.
13. Using a 3/8-inch square drive 13mm socket and 3/8-inch ratchet and 3/8-inch square drive 18-inch extension, remove battery hold-down bolt and bracket.
14. Using a strap, remove from vehicle and place on work bench for testing.
15. Before testing,, the electrolyte level in all cells (6) are checked.
16. Eliminate the filler caps from other cells.
17. Place a hydrometer (available at auto parts stores) in one (1) or the six (6) cells.
18. The reading for the scale of the hydrometer should approximately be 1. 270. This reading indicates a full charge. A lower reading indicates charging before testing.
19. Fill cells that are low with a liquid filler, using only distilled water.
20. Place charger on work bench and position cables.
21. Put the red cable to the POSITIVE post.
22. Place the charger black cable to the NEGATIVE post .
23. Set the selector switch set to the 2-amp setting,
24. Charge the battery for seventy-two (72) hours. to bring it with a full charge.
25.Employing a digital multi-meter (DMM) (available at auto parts stores) set the selector switch to the VOLTS setting.
26. Put the red test of the DMM into the red jack
27. Put the black test lead of the DMM to the COM jack.
28. Put the other end of the red test result in the the POSITIVE post .
29. Put the other end of the black test lead of the the NEGATIVE post.
30. The reading for the display of the DMM should include 12. 50 to 12.75 volts.
31. This reading would indicate a full charge..
32, This test is known as the open circuit test (OCV) for indicates that it is has been fully charged.
33. It can only be checked for capacity and strength having a load tester.
34. Lots tester evaluates the chance to operate the vehicle starter motor, accessories, and keep that load for Just a few seconds with the voltage not going below 9. 6 VOLTS.
35. A cell incapable of holding this voltage load is defective.
36. The strain test showed it had been defective.
37. Before installing an alternative , the specifications and dimensions work better same as the original being replaced; namely, amperage rating, and cold cranking rating.
38. Clean the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE posts..
39. Clean the NEGATIVE and POSITIVE cables with a wire brush before installing the replacement .
40. Stubborn corrosion and dirt should be cleaned with baking soda and water.
41. Put the replacement in the vehicle battery tray.
42. Install the hold-down bolt and bracket, cover, fuse box bolt, and top cover inside reverse order from where they were removed.
43. Remove the memory keeper from the accessory socket.
44. Eliminate the chocks from rear wheels.
45. Test drive the Beetle for proper operation.
* A memory keeper is usually an electronic device that is powered with a nine (9) volt battery. If it's placed in the accessory socket, in the cabin compartment, the settings inside ROM memory of the computer are not lost. Without the aid of the memory keeper, your vehicle would have to be driven several miles for that computer to re-learn the programmed settings.
* Searching for multi-meter (DMM) is an electronic test instrument employed by technicians' and do-it-yourselfers to be able to electrical faults on the vehicle.
* To prevent sulphation, a battery maintainer should be used to make it charged when a vehicle is left out-of-service or when in storage.
When working around a storage battery, safety glasses should be worn to protect the eyes from gasses and elecrolyte.
Tools and Equipment
3/8-inch square drive 5mm hex-bit socket
3/8-inch square drive ratchet
1/4-inch square drive 10mm socket
1/4-inch square drive ratchet
3/8-inch square drive 18-inch extension
Digital multi-meter (DMM)
Battery load tester
Linzer Piece Cookie Cutter Cheap Ema Jane Bright Stripes Cupcake On Amazon Who sells MINI PINEAPPLE Metal Cookie Cutter cheap Best reviews of Fall Halloween OTBP TURKEY B1150X Prep Bowls Cherry Set 4 black friday deals Prep Bowls Cherry Set 4 Fall Halloween OTBP APPLE C1017 lowes black friday Discount Kaiser Bakeware Patisserie Decorating Cookie Cheap Fox Run Breast Cancer Awareness online Best Pelematic Electrical Flour Sifter What is the best price for Kaiser Bakeware Patisserie Plastic Brushes American Kitchen Stainless Steel Mixing black friday prices Bargain Fiesta Products 2 Quart Mixing Black Who sells the cheapest Harold Import Eggplant Silpin Jr online R M Sunglasses Cookie Cutter black friday R M Chicken Cookie Cutter On Amazon Low price Wilton Valentines Piece Mini Cutter Low price Unknown Angel Cookie Cutter Price compare Norpro Ceramic Pie Crust Weights Discount Milton Brook Range Unglazed Mortar Buy Unknown Unicorn Cookie Cutter Affordable Signature Housewares Sorrento 60 Ounce Mixing Black White Cupcake Baking Liners Cheap Wilton 7 Piece Metal Cookie Cutter Best price The cheapest Wood Pastry and Tart Tamper online 41 Pc Set Mini Cookie Cutters For sale If You Care Unbleached 24 Count black friday best buy specials Price compare Fox Run Turkey Cookie Cutter FMM Petal Rose Cutter Plastic lowes black friday deals Cheapest Ateco Plain Comma Cutter Set online Low price Harolds Kitchen Hands Cookie Cutter How do I get 6pk Halloween Plastic Cookie Cutters Farberware Classic Mixing Bowls Red For sale MINI CANDY CORN M128 black friday deals MINI CANDY CORN M128 Wilton Party Cookie Cutter Set black friday Price comparisons for Tumbleweed Pottery Stoneware Mixing Whisk Creative Home Fossil Marble Rolling black friday best buy Where to buy Mini Pine Wood Rolling Pin Amco 4 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing lowes black friday Compare Creative Home 2 Tone Champagne Rolling Online Creative Home Charcoal Marble Rolling Where to buy Signature Housewares Sorrento Stoneware Bowls Who sells Washington cookie cutter constructed tinplate Price comparisons for Green Party Goods Biodegradable Camouflage Wilton Shapes 4 Piece Cookie Cutter black friday sales Teddy Bear Piece Cookie Cutter top black friday deals Teddy Bear Piece Cookie Cutter Low cost Wilton Disney Princess Ariel Baking Price comparisons of PME Veined Plunger Cutter Small MINI COWBOY Metal Cookie Cutter Sale Who sells Texas State Piece Cookie Cutter the cheapest Buy Beatles Yellow Submarine Cookie Cutter online