Top 18 Ways to Prolong Your Laptop's Battery Life
Imagine you are sitting at the airport and you have just enough time to log in and check your email on that cool new laptop. Just as you get to your inbox, the light starts flashing saying you are running out of battery power and wouldn't you know it, your cord won't reach the outlet. There are certain steps you can take. The following fifteen tips can help you extend your battery's life.
1. Defrag your hard drive regularly so it runs as efficiently as possible. Only perform this activity when plugged in, not on battery power. Mac OSX is equipped to better handle fragmentation so Apple users may not need this tip.
2. Dim the monitor. Many laptops have this option available and many include CPU and cooling enhancement enabling you to squeeze every last bit of power from your battery.
3. Reduce the number of programs that are active in the background. You may be running programs such as ITunes, Desktop Search, and so on. These all contribute to your CPU usage which quickly lowers battery life. Shut down everything you don't need when operating on battery.
4. Limit the use of external devices. This includes all USB devices. Your mouse and Wi-Fi use a lot of battery juice. Simply shut them down or unplug them. And never charge your MP3 or iPod when solely operating on battery power.
5. Increase the RAM. This will allow the laptop to process more information with the memory in the laptop, instead of using the virtual memory. When you use virtual memory, it causes hard drive usage thus reducing power efficiency. This mostly applies to cases where you need to run programs that require a lot of virtual memory usage, since the more RAM you add, the more energy you will use.
6. CD and DVD drives consume more power than hard drives do, so you should run off a hard drive whenever possible. Just having a CD/DVD in the drive can use laptop battery power. While the hard drive spins, it uses battery life although the device is not being used. Instead of using optical programs, you should use virtual drive programs such as Alcohol 120% as much as possible.
7. Keep the battery contacts free of dust and debris. Clean the battery's metal contacts frequently with a clean cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it and you will maintain power transfer efficiency.
8. Exercise your battery. Do not let charged battery sit idle for an extended amount of time. You should use the battery a minimum of one time every two to three weeks once it is charged. And never allow a Li-On battery to completely discharge. Only older batteries with memory effects should be allowed to discharge.
9. Use the hibernate function instead of standby; this saves a lot more power. Not only will your laptop shut down in the hibernation mode, it will resume right where you left off.
10. Lower the operating temperature - Laptops run much better when the temperature is low. Go to LapTopMag.com for some great ways to clean the vents and other cooling tips.
11. To set up and get the most out of your power options, you should find the "Power Options" link in your Windows Control Panel; once you get there, you can maximize your power usage by selecting the "Max Battery" option.
12. Don't work on multiple programs. Stick to one task while you are using battery power. Focus on one task at a time, such as finishing a spreadsheet before checking your e-mail or listening to music. Your batteries will be drained before anything gets finished if you don't!
13. Try to demand the least from your PC. Gaming or playing a DVD consumes much more power than passive activities such as email and word processing. If you only have one battery, prioritize with care.
14. Replace your old laptop with a new model that is more energy friendly. Some manufactures are even offering batteries that last all day. Purchasing a newer more efficient laptop in place of an older one is a quick fix.
15. Prevent the memory effect. If you're using a very old laptop, you'll want to prevent the 'memory effect' Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it at least once every two to three weeks. Don't worry about this if you have Li-Ion batteries, which many laptops have, since they do not have the 'memory effect'.
Bonus Tip #1: Shut the auto save function off. The auto save feature in MS-Word and Excel is a useful one, but they add to the workload of your hard disk as they keep saving your active files regularly. However as the battery begins to run low, turn it back on to prevent permanent loss.
Bonus Tip #2: Limit the graphics use. Changing the screen resolution and turning off fancy graphic drivers will allow you to do this. According to an update from Andrew, Using a graphics or video card can consume as much or even more energy as a hard disk can.
As said in Bonus Tip #1, you should be careful anytime you turn off the auto save feature. Also, Tip #8 can tell you how to alter information when discharging batteries. Thank you to everybody who pointed this out! An extra bonus second tip can be added to the first tip about the spinning of hard drives in Mac OSX. Thank you to everybody who brought this to light!
Who sells the cheapest Toshiba Satellite C655d s5139 3gb ddr3 No webcam online Compare prices for HP Compaq 6910p Refurbished Notebook Where can I buy Dell Inspiron 17 3 Black Notebook Compare Asus Computer International Accelerator Bluetooth Bargain HP Pavilion Dv7 6199us Notebook Aluminum HP Envy 17 750GB Memory Price comparisons for Apple Refurbished MacBook Air 11 6 inch 1 6 Intel HP Pavilion Notebook 750GB Memory Price compare Lenovo IBM ThinkPad T61 Notebook HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600 Graphic multi burner Sale HeidePC® GamerPC I3 2100 Graphic multi burner On line HeidePC® GamerPC i5 2500 Graphic multi burner For sale online Best reviews of Samsung SF511 A03 15 6 LED Notebook Discounted HP Pavilion G60 519WM Entertainment Celeron Compare prices for HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600 multi burner including Cheapest HeidePC® Gaming PC generation Lightscribe online Buy Cheap HeidePC® GamerPC i5 2400 Graphic multi burner Low price LAPTOP LATITUDE T5750 CENTRINO BUSINESS For sale HeidePC® GamerPC I3 2100 Graphic multi burner HeidePC® GamerPC Graphic Geforce multi burner For sale Deals for HeidePC® GamerPC Pentium Graphic multi burner Price comparisons of Dell Latitude D820 Notebook Off Lease Price comparisons for HP Pavilion DV7t laptop computer ThinkPad laptop Intei Anti Glare TrackPoint recordable Price Compare prices for HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Laptop Apple Refurbished MacBook Pro 17 inch 2 3GHz quad core Low price HP Pavilion dv6z Customizable Notebook Get cheap HP Pavilion dv7t i7 2630QM Graphics Who sells the cheapest HP Pavilion dv6t Laptop i7 2820QM online Bargain HeidePC® GamerPC I3 2100 Graphic multi burner Where can you buy HeidePC® GamerPC i5 2500 Graphic multi burner Lenovo T400 7417X05 Sale HP PROBOOK 6555B ATIIX2 DVRW For sale online Affordable HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600K multi burner including HeidePC® Gaming PC generation Lightscribe Sale Who sells HeidePC® GamerPC Pentium multi burner including cheap Best price HP ProBook 6455b Laptop Premium Low price HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600K Graphic multi burner Who sells HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600 Graphic multi burner cheap Where can you buy MacBook Warranty Accidental Damage 3 Yrs Discount Compaq 1 4 1 8ghz 20 40gb Window Laptop Best reviews of LATITUDE WIRELESS N EXPRESS BATTERY PROFESSIONAL Best reviews of HP Pavilion dv6z Notebook Professional Price comparisons of Lenovo Thinkpad 1366x768 Graphics Fingerprint Refurbished MacBook 1 8GHz dual core Intel Where can you buy HP Pavilion dv7t i7 2720QM Graphics Compare X460DX 008US 14 4G 500GB DVDR W7HP Buying Acer TM8473T 2414G32Mnkk Notebook Intel HDD DVD Writer Bluetooth Webcam Finger Reader Windows Deals for Gateway Ec19c08u u563g32nrk 11 6 LED Notebook What is the best price for HeidePC® GamerPC i7 2600 multi burner including
Please provide a digital link to this story if you think it is useful, and share your own laptop battery experiences! Let us know in the comments section!